Monday, June 28, 2010

Seat Backs and Tray Tables In Up Right Position

So, as some of you know, we flew for the first time with Davis to Colorado last weekend. It was sooooo much fun, but of course I had a little fear of flying with a baby. I braced myself. I hung in there. I drank a fifth of vodka. (Just kidding. Someone stole it. haha)



I have received many emails and comments asking how it went and if I had any suggestions as far as flying. I don't have many, but I will offer my somewhat hopefully helpful advice. I will put my address for you to send compensation. Thank you.



-Baby Carrier!! I don't know what we would have done without this going through the airport. I try so hard to pack light, but now having my suitcase, along with Davis', and Michael's can be a little challenging. Guess who wore it!?!

That's right :)

-Bring a butt load of diapers on the plane, or you're going to have a butt load of trouble!

-Change of clothes....but that's a no brainer I would assume

-Bring jar food on the plane, but remember it can not be any bigger than 3oz. Got to love the new rules!

-Meditation balls for yourself

-Bottles! Even if you just fed your child when you took off, you need more when you take off and while landing. This will help massively with the ear popping and discomfort. More is better in this case. Place enough formula/milk in a container to make another bottle on plane. Don't worry, your baby won't exit the plane an elephant. They will thank you.

-Morphine drip

-Sitting in the very back of the plane is not a bad thing. We seemed to be in the kid zone which worked out great. We were the last row, which normally would have been awful, but worked out great. We were right next the bathroom and a trash can. Also the engine that we were right next to have a beautiful (LOUD) noise which blocked out any screaming that comes from you or baby.

-Gift Card! Like I said before, you never know what could happen. You're child go all of a sudden become the spawn of Satan, and you may need to reward a innocent bystander with a reward. In our case, Michael and I somehow got separated, and someone was nice enough to give up their seat for us. But honestly, why would you want to sit next to a baby if you don't have to!

-DVDs!! Okay, these were our best friend while on the plane. If your child has the attention span like mine, which can be as short as a match, then you may want to try this. While at home, Davis does not watch TV expect his occasional video. (My Baby Can Read) We popped those glorious babies in Michael's laptop and it was smooth sailing. Even if Davis couldn't hear anything, he didn't care. This kept him busy until it was time to have his next bottle in time for landing. Yes, we were those parents. But hey, others were doing it too. Better than a screaming baby, I say. You think he likes it?

-And last, car seat. If you are renting a car, I say rent a car seat as well. You don't want to have to worry about lugging more around the dreaded airport than you already have to. They aren't expensive either, and it also saves in sanity.



6 comments:

sara said...

We're getting ready to go on vacation...thankfully driving though...and I can't wrap my brain around the amount of crap we have to have with us. It's staggering. Glad things went as smoothly as they could for you :)

Shell said...

Congrats on making it through!

Lothiriel said...

I love my baby carrier. I rarely use it because Emma tries to grab my head from behind her and I'm always wrestling with her!!!

The carseat thing, I cannot get over that! LOL! I told my husband, and he was all REAAAAAAALLLLYYYY??????
We both felt so stupid! See, I messed up a carseat already! I checked it in, and it got all crooked and the handle wouldn't go up anymore...so we had to buy another carseat!!!! they're so expensive too, you know!

The thing about the movie in a laptop, Emma tries to grab the laptop instead. She's never paid attention to TV. I bought her all these Baby Einstein DVD's, and she would rather follow me around the house with her eyes.

Actuary Mom said...

Great advice!! I think a change of clothes for yourself is good too (beware of blowouts!) you don't want to be walking around the airport with poop all over you.

Stopping by from SITs.

Daisygirl said...

wait the plane had a morphine drip....which airline did you fly? haha! Love it and all such great advice! I so agree about the baby carrier that was our savior too!

Ashley said...

I almost bought a baby carrier for my husband yesterday for our baby on the way! But didn't know which one to buy! I love this tutorial. Amazing what goes into traveling with a baby!