Friday, June 18, 2010

Fear of Flying

Okay, so I don't have a fear of flying, but tomorrow is THE BIG DAY! Tomorrow we fly to Colorado, which means the first time that we have flown with Davis. I am bracing myself. I am hoping, wishing, and praying that if he did so good on our trip to Tulsa, then surely he can handle a two hour plane ride. Right?!? I do know that plane rides are totally different than being in a car. You can't exactly pull the plane over for a break and to stretch your legs. Let the baby air it lungs out so to speak.

So, here are some of my thoughts:

-take over the intercom before the flight attendant makes her announcement, and explain we have a potentially angry baby on board. The exits are at the front and rear of the plane, so please feel free to exit now.


-make sure everyone knows that they can jump out at any time and will be given a parachute. Good luck!


-buy innocent bystanders a shot for having to deal with said screaming baby


-buy myself a shot. Hell, bring a flask ON the plane.


-give Davis Benadryl and cross your fingers it works


-reward the good Samaritans with gift cards and tell them they passed the test


-sing at the top of your lungs. The baby likes it...shouldn't everyone else?


-skip up and down the aisle with baby, saying he has to be in constant motion or he'll go ape crazy!


Okay, okay. These were just thoughts. I may try all of them, you just never know. Since I've never flown, what do you think? Suggestions? I do know that I will be giving Davis a bottle regardless of what time it is when we are taking off. I've heard that it helps with the ear popping. As far as Benadryl, I think I am afraid it may have the opposite effect of him and make him crazy. My luck, I would give it to him and he would be hyper, or better yet, so tired but he can't sleep leaving him cranky. For the most part, I think he'll be fine. I know our biggest concern is him sitting in our lap. He hates sitting in our lap for longer periods of time. Maybe five minutes being the long period! I am praying to all the Gods out there! Let this go smoooothly. Honestly, I was more nervous about the six hour car trip, and that went great for the most part. I think I can, I think I can!


But whatever happens, I want to sit next to THIS GUY!! (www.funnycomments.com)

13 comments:

The Undomestic Mom said...

hahaha I love this post! Our first plane ride with lil miss went 10000 times better than I expected so hopefully yalls will be the same way!

Anonymous said...

I was so scared for the plane ride but my daughter has been great everytime. Bottle or paci when taking off and descending helps alot. I wouldn't do the Benadryl unless you know how he reacts to it. It makes my daughter hyper!! Good luck and have a great time!

sara said...

I'd have to agree with Jenn. I had a friend who did the Benadryl trick and the plane ended up having to make an emergency landing because her son reacted to it so badly. People may complain if Davis gets crabby, but it's a two hour flight...they can suck it up :)

kelly said...

it'll be fine. just pack a bag full of some little treats, a few of his favorite toys & some new ones too. if you have an ipod, load it up with baby einstein (or whatever he might be interested in) & just pray for the best. definitely don't do benadryl if you've never tried it before - it could get ugly.

I have a friend that passes out those foam ear plugs to passengers around them when they fly.

it'll be great.
good luck!

cheri said...

a plane ride? i have yet to take my 2-year-old on a bus ride, and i'm worried that we'd be left on the street.

good luck!

from SITS :)

Daisygirl said...

hahaha....oh my gosh you are hilarious!

Flying with a baby is interesting! I say you drink....who cares about everyone else! But ya sit next to the guy with the sonic and you'll be fine!

I hope you have a fabulous trip!

Nikki said...

Good luck!!! YOu'll have to let me know how it goes and what you end up doing. We are possibly going to St. Louis with Mia at the end of the summer and I'm a little nervous about the plane ride with her. She's just so antsy pantsy!

Kristy @Loveandblasphemy said...

By now, the ride may be over, and I hope it went ok! When I flied with Parker when he was a baby, I would give him Tylenol about 1/2 hour before (in case his ears hurt- pediatrician recommended this) and I would make sure to have milk or water for him to suck on to pop his ears during take off and landing. He always did great and slept, but I have heard other babies freaking out, and I just feel sorry for the parents.

Kate Pantier @ Mommy Monologues said...

hahaha good luck!!!

Finally have my comp back & can visit people without having to wait on the dinosaur comp to load everything!

Your place looks great!!!

LisaDay said...

Good luck. I hope the flight is fantastic and Davis loves it.

LisaDay

lori said...

Good luck. Where are you going in Colorado? That is where I live.

Lothiriel said...

I was told to pack extra clothes and diapers, but in the end..all I needed was more pacifiers and toys for her to play with!!!!

There was Black lady next to me with dreadlocks. Emma pulled them and the lady got very angry. I was so embarrassed. The lady got so mad, I cried :(
But that's another blog post.

Val said...

You are not alone!!! I too have these same fears!! I love your blog = )